Soul Warming Soup
RECIPE + IMAGES c/o OFFBEAT + INSPIRED
Passed down to her by her mother and fondly remembered as a staple in their house growing up, Sarah from Offbeat + Inspired shares her family recipe for Winter Chowder with us. Creamy, hearty, and soul-warming, this is exactly the type of recipe that we can get behind for these cold Winter months. The best recipes are always the ones that are passed down from generation to generation, gaining tiny tweaks and improvements over the years. We think that this delicious chowder recipe has pretty much reached the level of perfection, but we’ll let you decide for yourself. See full recipe + instructions below.
- 1 lb. bacon
- 1 large onion
- 2½ lbs potatoes
- 1 lb carrots
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 cup water
- 2 cans whole kernel corn (drained)
- 4 cups milk
- 12 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup flour
- Dice the bacon, onion, potatoes and carrots.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, fry the bacon pieces until they’re almost cooked through. Drain off some of the fat. Add the diced onion and cook until the onions are tender and bacon is crisp.
- Stir in the bouillon cubes, water, potatoes, carrots and corn to the pot. Cover and cook until the vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- While the vegetables are cooking, in a medium bowl mix the cheese and flour so that the cheese is evenly coated. Set aside.
- Turn heat on the chowder to low and slowly add the milk. Stir consistently until the milk is heated through (do not boil!).
- Slowly add the cheese/flour mixture. Stir until the cheese is fully incorporated and the chowder is heated through. Serve and enjoy!