Sweet and Savory Nuts By Kimberly Taylor
Homemade Gift idea
PHOTOS BY KIMBERLY TAYLOR
These Sweet and Savory nuts will fill your home with the aroma of the holidays. We love the mix of salty and sweet. Package them up to create a wonderful homemade gift for neighbors, teachers or friends.
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp Turbinado sugar
- 1 tsp finely minced fresh thyme
- 1 Tbsp finely minced fresh rosemary
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1 egg white
- 1 lb raw mixed nuts
- Fleur de Sel or other sea salt to finish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter with the maple syrup and Turbinado (dark brown sugar is also fine) sugar.
- Once melted, remove from heat and stir in the herbs, spices and salt (not the finishing salt).
- In a large bowl whip the egg white until frothy. Toss in the nuts, then stir to coat. Then at the butter and spice mixture. Spread nuts in a single layer on the prepared pan. Bake in the preheated oven, turning occasionally, until the nuts are glazed and shiny with a deep golden color, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven then sprinkle lightly with fleur de sel if using and stir again.
- Cool completely then store in an airtight container.