Strawberry Wonton Salad Recipe
PHOTO: David Mills
A Crisp and Refreshing Salad
RECIPE BY ALLISON VAN SLYKE
Baby showers are a great time to share light and delicious salads and my friend created one of the best that I’ve been making ever since. Right now is the best time too because juicy strawberries are in their prime just asking to be added to a great salad. This Strawberry Chicken Salad has a nice variety of flavors and textures from crisp red onions to refreshing strawberries and crunchy sweet and salty nuts. My family loves this salad, especially the fried wonton that seem to disappear as soon as they are prepared, so I always make sure to fry up a few extra.
This is a great salad to enjoy for lunch and dinner; it’s also a wonderful meal to share with someone who’s feeling under the weather or just as a pleasant surprise delivered to their door. Pair it with a crusty loaf of bread and you are all set to enjoy a healthy, delicious meal.
- 1 head red leaf lettuce, chopped
- 1 small bag spinach
- ½ cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 2 chicken breasts, grilled
- ½ cup nuts
- 15 won ton wrappers
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- ½ cup vegetable or olive oil
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup strawberry jam
- Prepare salad fixings. Chop the vegetables and thinly slice the grilled chicken.
- To caramelize the nuts, take a few tablespoons of white sugar over medium heat, add the nuts and stir until light brown. Be careful to watch these as the sugar can burn quickly.
- Combine the dressing ingredients by whisking in a bowl or blending in a blender.
- Cut the wonton sheets into ½ inch strips and fry in hot vegetable oil.
- Arrange everything on a big platter or in bowl. My family loves this, but I always make extra of the fried won tons. They disappear before they get into the salad!
PHOTO: David Mills