Red, White & Blue Salad
Recipe & Photos contributed by Sweet Laurel
Declare your independence from boring side dishes this Fourth of July with this eye-catching, colorful salad! Red, White & Blue Salad is the obvious choice for any Independence Day gathering (whether you’re hosting a backyard cookout or kicking back to watch the fireworks with a “Patriotic Picnic”), with its bold trio of colors mingling in the bowl on top of tender baby greens. Dressed in a zesty, homemade lemon vinaigrette that comes together in seconds, this salad is the perfect marriage of a healthy bowl of mixed greens and veggies with the classic American potato salad…without all that heavy traditional mayo to weigh it down. Light, flavorful, and easily packable, this salad is simply picnic perfection!
- 8 small blue potatoes, quartered
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 oz. bag of baby arugula
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup mozzarella cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Toss potatoes in olive oil and salt, roast on a baking sheet for 40 minutes, until potatoes are crispy and brown at edges.
- Set potatoes aside to cool.
- Place all vinaigrette ingredients in a mixing bowl, whisk with fork. Taste and add salt & pepper as needed.
- Add arugula greens to bowl, toss to thoroughly coat with dressing.
- Top with potatoes, tomatoes & mozzarella, toss gently & serve.