Pineapple Mint Julep Classic Cocktail
A Fruity Twist on a Southern Favorite
PHOTOS + RECIPE BY GRACE MATTEI OF PATTERNED POSIES
Typically a southern cocktail in abundance at the Kentucky Derby, this fruity version becomes less of a southern tradition and more of a Summer refresher! Reminiscent of a mojito, this cocktail is perfect after dinner or during a lazy Sunday afternoon in the hammock. Delightfully sweet and not too strong, we are sure that this drink will be a Summer favorite that sticks around all the way until next year’s Derby! See below for ingredients & recipe instructions.
PHOTO: Grace Mattei
- 2 oz of Maker's Mark Bourbon Whiskey
- 5 or 6 Tbsp of simple syrup
- 2 Tbsp of ginger ale
- 3 Tbsp of pineapple juice
- ¼ cup of fresh diced pineapple
- 8 or 9 fresh mint leaves
- ¾ cup of crushed ice
- Start by combining your mint leaves, fresh pineapple, and simple syrup (google recipe) in the bottom of your glass. Muddle them together (you can use a wooden spoon if you don’t have a muddler).
- Pour your crushed ice into the glass-make sure it’s enough to fill it to the top.
- Pour your whisky, pineapple juice, and ginger ale over the ice, and stir it gently.
- Add a mint sprig & pineapple slice for garnish, and enjoy!
When muddling ingredients together for a drink, be sure to do it gently. The purpose of muddling is to release all of the flavor in your ingredients, not crush them into a pulp!