Painted Upholstery Featuring Annie Sloan® Unfolded
Transform Your Furniture
Reupholstering furniture can be costly, but there are alternatives. This project uses Chalk Paint® decorative paint by Annie Sloan to give an old upholstered chair an updated look. The colors on the chair’s upholstery are a custom mixture of Primer Red, Florence, and Old White. Those same paint colors were mixed to create a lighter version for the wooden part of the chair.
Materials and Tools Needed
- Dilute the paint with water so that it is thin enough to be absorbed into the fabric. If the paint is hard and crusty when it dries, then it is too thick and needs more water.
- Use your brush to apply the paint to the fabric in a circular, scrubbing motion.
- Let the first coat of paint dry.
- Apply a second coat of paint to fabric if needed.
- Paint the wood of the chair using Chalk Paint®.
- Use a brush or lint-free cloth to apply a thin, even coat of Clear Soft Wax to the woodwork. Tip: When you apply the wax, “push” it into your Chalk Paint®. Remove excess wax with a clean cloth.
- Lightly sand the edges of the woodwork with a fine grit sand paper to allow parts of the wood to show through.
- Use a brush or cloth to apply a very small amount of Dark Soft Wax over the Clear Wax if you desire a worn, patina look. Remove excess wax with a cloth.