Mixed Bean Salad
PHOTOS + RECIPE BY VALERY RIZZO
This simple cold mixed bean salad is light and refreshing for Summer, but manages to be relatively filling because of the protein from the beans. A great alternative to potato salad at a picnic or barbecue, this salad can be a perfect side dish or an easy main course. We love how flavorful and unique this dish is, and know you will too! See below for full recipe and instructions.
- 1½ oz fresh fava beans
- 1½ oz fresh or frozen peas
- 9 oz soaked and precooked mixed beans, such as chickpeas, lentils, barlotti beans, and black eyed peas, well drained
- 4 salad tomatoes, de-seeded and cut into small cubes
- A bunch of arugula leaves
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 marjoram branches, leaves removed and stalks discarded
- A few sage leaves
- 6 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the fava beans and peas until tender; drain and leave to cool.
- Place the well-drained beans, fava beans and peas in a large bowl or serving dish and add the tomatoes, scallions, arugula and herbs.
- Pour over the olive oil and vinegar, season with salt and pepper and mix everything together.
- Leave to rest for 10 min, then serve.