Macaroni & Cheese Featured in Where Women Cook
a classic combination
Macaroni & Cheese is one of the most universally appreciated comfort foods. A simple combination that is almost fail-proof, it can be jazzed up with many different blends of cheese, spices, or the addition of protein. However, sometimes we tend to think that simple is best; this recipe is the perfect example of that. See below for instructions on how you can make this classic recipe, one that will be a timeless favorite for generations to come.
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt & cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper, to taste
- ½ lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ lb Muenster cheese, shredded
- 1.4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh flat-lead parsley
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan or extra-large skillet set over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour and cook, whisking constantly, until paste cooks and bubbles a bit, about 2 minutes (make sure it doesn’t brown). Add 3 cups of hot milk and cook, whisking constantly, until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Bring sauce to a boil, reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring constantly, for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add dry mustard and cayenne, and gradually add cheddar and Muenster cheese, stirring constantly until all cheese has melted into sauce.
- Add remaining 1 cup milk. Add cooked pasta to sauce and stir to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and parsley. Serve immediately.