Keeping it Kale
While some people may roll their eyes as soon as they see that this is “just another kale recipe”, this is no mere austere bowl of greens….it’s got style. Soul. Swagger. Whatever. It’s got tender bits of prosciutto, mingling with the brightness of fresh lemon zest and a hint of red pepper. It’s got silky shreds of sauteed kale, woven cozily into a bowl of golden pasta, all snuggled under a sprinkling of grated parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil. Seriously, isn’t that just about the most inviting thing you could imagine right now? Cancel those dinner reservations, resist the temptation to swing through the fast food drive-through, and treat yourself to a gloriously simple home-cooked meal! Full recipe + ingredients listed below.
PHOTO: Sweet Laurel
- 6 oz. pasta of choice (in my house, it's Barilla's Gluten Free spaghetti)
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 3 oz. prosciutto, sliced into roughly ½" squares
- 1 bunch of organic kale, washed, ribs removed & roughly chopped (size of bunch will vary, but you should have at least 3 loosely packed cups of chopped kale)
- 1 tablespoon shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt, to taste
- freshly grated parmesan, to taste
- Fill a large pot with water, add salt generously and bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook until done to your desired degree of firmness. Drain and set aside.
- In a skillet over medium high heat, add one tablespoon of olive oil (reserving the rest) and heat until shimmering, then add prosciutto and saute quickly until it just begins to color. Add kale one handful at a time, stirring constantly. The kale will wilt quickly in the heat and make room for the next handful, continue doing this until all the kale is in the skillet.
- Add minced shallot and garlic and continue to saute, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon. The mixture is done after about five minutes, once the kale has turned dark and tender.
- Remove from heat and add the lemon zest and red pepper.
- Return warm pasta to pot and add kale mixture, tossing to combine thoroughly. Drizzle with remaining olive oil and let sit (cover the pot to keep remaining warmth in) for a few minutes to allow flavors to intermingle. Serve in bowls, showered with freshly grated parmesan, and enjoy!