Grilled Veggie Panzanella
Savor the Flavor
FEATURED IN WWCOOK * RECIPE BY KELSEY NIXON
This grilled veggie panzanella recipe is reminiscent of long summer nights spent out by the grill, eating and laughing until the sun goes down and the fireflies come out. This delicious vegetarian dish is hearty enough to satisfy, but won’t leave you feeling weighed down. Try locally sourcing your vegetables when making this dish, for a truly “down to earth” and authentic meal!
- 1 loaf French bread
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
- 1 yellow squash
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 orange bell pepper, quartered
- 8 oz. heirloom cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. If using an outdoor grill, coat a grill basket with cooking spray and put it on grill.
- Brush both sides of bread with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill until grill marks appear, about 2 minutes per side. When cool enough to handle, cut or tear into 1-inch cubes.
- In a large bowl, combine squash, zucchini, and bell pepper. Drizzle with oil, season with salt and black pepper, and toss to coat. Grill, flipping once, until vegetables have grill marks and are softened and caramelized, about 6-8 minutes. When cool enough to handle, cut squash, zucchini, and peppers into 1-inch pieces and transfer to another large bowl.
- Add tomatoes to first bowl, drizzle with a little more oil, and season with salt and pepper. Grill (if outdoors, use grill basket) until charred and caramelized, about 4-5 minutes. Add tomatoes to grilled vegetables.
- In a small bowl, combine vinegar, mustard, and garlic. While whisking, slowly drizzle in ½ cup olive oil and whisk until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add toasted bread and mozzarella to bowl of vegetables. Drizzle in vinaigrette, add torn basil leaves, and toss. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving to allow flavors to develop.