Gorgonzola Chicken Wings
An extra kick of flavor
These gorgonzola chicken wings by Jessica Helgeson of SEESaltTV are nothing like your average fried chicken recipe. Combining the gorgonzola into the buttermilk batter mix, a whole new element of flavor gets added in during the frying process! Perfect for Father’s Day, we are sure that dad won’t want to go back to regular fried chicken after trying these! See below for a step by step recipe and video on how you can make these delicious chicken wings for an outdoor picnic, summer bash, or Father’s Day treat!
- 8 chicken wings
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 8 oz gorgonzola cheese
- canola oil for frying
- all purpose flour
- pinch of cayenne
- sea salt
- blue cheese dressing (optional)
- wing sauce (optional)
- Measure and pour 2 cups buttermilk into blender or food processor.
- Slice and add 8 oz's of gorgonzola plus a pinch of cayenne. Blend.
- Pour mixture over the top of your chicken wings.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and up to overnight.
- Pour enough canola oil into a deep sided pan for frying.
- Using a candy or frying thermometer bring oil up to 335°.
- Pull wings from marinade and set on a raised rack. Allow to come up to room temperature.
- Sift flour lightly over both sides of the wings.
- When oil has reached 335° quickly start to add your wings. We recommend lowering the wings in slowly one at a time and no more than three wings in the pot at once. This will help to keep the temperature from dropping too drastically. Keep your thermometer in the pot to monitor and regulate it as necessary.
- Remove the chicken wings when they are mahogany in color. About 7 minutes. Set on raised cooling rack.
- Sprinkle with sea salt while hot.
- Serve with homemade blue cheese dressing and or your favorite wings sauce. Or just a good ol' squeeze of lime!