Citrus Chili Grilled Shrimp
You Go, Grill
Recipe + photos by Fig & Honey
If your backyard barbecue has been feeling a little lonely and under-used lately, here’s the perfect way to kick off grilling season! This recipe results in juicy, perfectly grilled shrimp with just a hint of smoke & spice, resting on a fluffy bed of healthy couscous salad that’s packed with summer’s flavors. Our lovely friend Anjanee, the creator behind this & lots of other delicious recipes at Fig & Honey, says, “I love my shrimp with lots of flavor that compliments the natural sweetness so I marinated them in a citrus bath with a lot of paprika and cayenne pepper. Don’t worry, they’re aren’t super spicy, the marinade just lets them soak up a bit of the heat.” See below for full recipe & Anjanee’s instructions.
Photo c/o Fig & Honey
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ¼ orange, juiced
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp spicy paprika
- 1 tsp garlic, finely minced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- 16 large shrimp (about 1 lb), deveined and shelled with tail left on
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 tsp spicy paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- zest of 1 lemon
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 cucumber, finely diced
- ½ cup cilantro leaves, finely minced
- ½ cup parsley leaves, finely minced
- ½ cup mint leaves, finely minced
- ½ lemon, juiced
- salt to taste
- In a large bowl, mix together the lemon and orange juice, cayenne pepper, paprika, garlic, olive oil, and salt to make the marinade.
- Add in the shrimp and toss to coat. Set aside while you make the couscous.
- Place the dry couscous, paprika, cumin and salt and mix together in a medium bowl.
- Add the hot water, cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
- After 10 minutes all the water should have been absorbed and you can fluff with a fork.
- Add the zest of lemon and orange, onion, cucumber, cilantro, parsley, mint and lemon juice. Toss together until everything is evenly distributed.
- Add salt to taste.
- For the shrimp, heat a grill to medium heat.
- Skewer the shrimp on a wooden skewer and cook the shrimp for about 1-2 minutes on either side.
- Serve on top of herbed couscous.