Chocolate Orange Cake Recipe By Rikki Snyder
When sweet meets tart
PHOTOS + RECIPE BY RIKKI SNYDER
It’s the perfect pairing, as timeless as peanut butter & jelly, or macaroni & cheese. When chocolate meets fruit, more specifically citrus, there is little room for error. This cake, though simplistic, is filled with more delicious flavor than we could ever hope for in a decadent dessert. The tangy orange combined with the sweetness of the frosting and the rich chocolate cake make for the perfect sweet treat; it’s so good, you’ll be reluctant to share!
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 1⅔ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup melted butter
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp fresh grate orange peel
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour two round 9-inch baking pans.
- Beat butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Stir in sour cream.
- In a separate bowl, stir together flour, cocoa and salt.
- Combine baking soda and buttermilk in a medium bowl; add alternately with dry ingredients to butter mixture. Beat for 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into certain of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes then remove from pan and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Combine 4 cups powdered sugar, ½ cup melted butter, ¼ cup orange juice, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract and 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange peel in a medium bowl.
- Beat until smooth.
- Makes about 2 cups. Frost as desired.