Blueberry French Toast By Sana Keefer
not your typical french toast
WRITTEN BY HALEY BUNTROCK * PHOTOS + RECIPE BY SANA KEEFER
Instead of soaking a slice of bread in an egg mixture, frying it golden brown and topping it with fruit, syrup and or powdered sugar, this variation of french toast resembles that of pain perdu, a New Orleans standby.
“It’s probably not everyday that we indulge in fresh bread from the local bakery,” says Sana Keefer, who created this recipe. “If you’ve been eyeing artisan varieties in the bakery window, needing a reason, this is it.”
The sweetness of blueberries and raisins mixed with the crunch of pecans and good artisan bread is a glorious way to start a morning.
- 1 small loaf of artisanal bread (Sana used Pecan-Raisin from LaBrea Bakery)
- 3 free-range eggs
- ½ Tbsp vanilla
- 1 carton fresh blueberries
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- Whisk 3 eggs in a bowl with cinnamon and vanilla.
- Cut 4 slices of bread into one inch strips.
- Coat strips of bread in whisked egg.
- Add half of your coconut oil to pan over medium heat.
- Cook until browned and repeat.
- Serve with fresh blueberries and a dash of powdered sugar for garnish.
1. We love LaBrea Bakery’s artisan breads, but you can always substitute with your local favorites.
2. This recipe is geared toward lighter portions, which makes it great for entertaining.