Beet, Goat Cheese + Walnut Salad Picnic for Two
Beets are simply the best when roasted and tossed together with peppery arugula, toasted walnuts and tangy goat cheese. It develops sweet flavors that can only be achieved from roasting and goes so well with a drizzle of balsamic-based dressing.
A balance of sweet and savory plus easy preparation makes this an ideal salad for a picnic.
- 16 beets, cleaned and leaved removed
- 6 cups arugula
- ½ cup walnuts, toasted
- 3 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp, shallots, sliced
- 1 Tbsp honey
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for roasting beets
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lightly coat beets with extra virgin olive oil, place on a baking sheet, cover with foil and roast for approximately 50 minutes.
- Remove beets from the oven and allow to cool for ten minutes before peeling and cutting into wedges.
- Spread arugula onto a platter and top evenly with beets, walnuts and goat cheese.
- In a bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients to create the dressing. Serve the dressing alongside the salad or drizzled on top.