Apricot Jam Recipe
RECIPE + STORY BY ALLISON VAN SLYKE
I have one apricot tree that we planted a few years ago. It produces so many sweet little apricots that I invite my neighbors over to share in the harvest. Some eat them straight off the tree, some take them home to eat with their families, and some make jam. I like the single flavored variety while others like to add herbs, spices, and different fruits, I like to keep it simple. I also like to make my jams whenever possible without store bought pectin. Enjoy!
- 8 cups diced apricots
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 6 cups sugar
- Sterilize your canning jars by boiling for 10 minutes in a hot water canner. You will need 5 pint jars or 10 half-pints.
- Combine all ingredients in a large stock pot.
- Bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar dissolves.
- Once mixture reaches a rolling boil, continue to boil it for 30 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent it from sticking.
- Remove from heat and fill jars, leaving ¼ head space.
- Wipe rims clean and put the 2-piece metal canning lids in place.
- Process in boiling water canner for 10 minutes.